Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Tuesday 22 December 2015

The John Lewis Advert Quote That Resonated With Me | Day 10: 12 Days Of Blogmas

Hey everyone. So today, I wanted to go back to one of my favourite posts to read and write, one of my quote posts. Today’s quote actually comes from somewhere very familiar, an iconic advert about a lonely man living on the moon: the John Lewis advert. Although I thought the John Lewis advert was good, it was actually the song ‘Half The World Away’ and it’s lyrics that stayed with me.


The lyric that resonated with me, from said song, was the quote ‘You can’t give me the dreams that are mine anyway’. I love this quote. I think it crystallises a lot for me, especially when it comes to goals and achievements.

As it is nearing the end of the year, it is normal for everyone to start looking back on the last few months, to think about what they’ve done and to think about what they want to do. It is a time to reminisce and evaluate who you’ve become. Moreover, in the odd period of time between festive days and the end of the year, I find I also begin to think about my future- the huge scary prospect of my life- and often it can all feel a little impossible.

The reason I seem to like this quote so much is, for me, the idea that your dreams, your goals and achievements, are yours and yours alone. You’ve earnt them. You’ve worked towards them. No-one can ‘give’ you your dreams without you doing a little work. If they do seem to be given to you, then are those the things what you actually dream of?

For example, you may have a dream career. With a lot of hard work, exams and work experience, and a sprinkle of luck, you can get there. However, the person giving you the job isn’t giving you your dream, you’re not being given anything. You are getting what you’ve earnt.

Your ambitions are never too large. Everyone has different ideas, they may want to have a family, to travel the world, to fight for human rights, to become an astronaut and go to the moon. However, if you work towards these, you can achieve them. You can reach those dreams. And no-one can deem to ‘give’ you them, the only person that can is you.

Maybe that is how the girl got the present to the man on the moon. She reached for her dream. She didn’t need her mum or dad to help her. Her dream was to get a present to a poor lonely man, and she did.

So maybe the thought I’d say that I’d take away from this quote is that you can never dream too big, and whatever you want you can achieve if you work for it. Only you have to do it.

Oddly, I feel quite inspired. The New Year will bring us all a new page to begin our year’s story, so maybe we should try putting ourselves out there.


Thanks for reading today, and if you have any thoughts on this please leave them in the comments. See you tomorrow, not too many days left now, much love, 
Find me on...

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, honestly I cannot help but smile when I read it!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete