Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Sunday 9 March 2014

Book Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Hello,





So it’s time for this month’s book review, which I’m hoping to make a monthly post, and this month’s book is ‘The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time’ by Mark Haddon. I was influenced to read this book after it was recommended by a friend, and it was also given to my sister as a Christmas present. The book has been awarded the Whitbread book of the year and has had some very positive reviews.

This book is a very unusual story, and one that is completely different to any other novel I’ve read. ‘The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time’ is a story that is written in the view of a boy, Christopher Boone, who has Asperger’s syndrome. A murder mystery with a twist, this book is a read for anyone who is looking for something different.

I have to say I found this book challenging. The point of view and writers style makes the wording of the story complicated to read. Although I struggled, and it took me a few weeks to really grasp, when I got to the good bit of the story I was hooked. This book is not what I expected. I don’t know what I wanted it to be, but it was something unbelievable different. I felt myself really learn about Asperger’s syndrome, Mark Haddon has written the voice of the story so well. This books plot is quite simple when you have finished it and think about it, but the journey is something that makes you think.

‘The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time’ made me feel emotions, it made me laugh sometimes and think, very hard, in others. The mystery kept me interested and the story of the characters kept me captivated.

I would not recommend this book to everyone. Although I am so happy that I have read it, and I do not regret reading it one bit, this novel is not for everyone. You have to be dedicated to this, work on until you get hooked onto the storyline (for me it was about half way through the book). This story might take time for some, or no time for others.
Overall, I think I would recommend it to 14 and up, as I don’t think many teens would appreciate the story’s purpose in the right way. It is perfect for anyone wanting change or wanting to learn about someone with the learning difficulty of Asperger’s. I would also recommend it if you want a book that will make you think.

To finish I would say I give this novel 3.5 out of 5. You can purchase the book, from Amazon here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Curious-Incident-Dog-Night-time/dp/0099450259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392928767&sr=8-1&keywords=the+curious+incident+of+the+dog+in+the+night+time ) for about £5.99.

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on the novel, and I do hope some of you will consider reading it. If you have read it please leave a comment below about your view, (or a link to a blog post like mine?) or leave a comment if there are any books you want me to review. Thanks, hope you are all well,




No comments:

Post a Comment